Effective Date: Dec 26, 2019
1. Introduction and Overview.
If you are a California resident, please see the “Additional Disclosures for California Residents” section. If you have any questions or wish to exercise your rights and choices, please contact us as set out in the “Contact Us” section.
2. Information Collection.
A. Information You Provide.
We collect information about you when you use the Service or interact with us offline, including information you provide when you search for people, usernames or phone numbers on www.peekyou.com, access our content, submit a request, or contact our customer support. The categories of information we collect and have collected in the last 12 months, include:
- Contact Data, including your name, email address, postal address, and phone number.
- Demographic Data, including your age, gender, and country.
- Search Data, including the people, usernames or phone numbers you search and the results of those searches.
- Content, including the content within messages you send to us such as questions to our customer support.
You may choose to voluntarily provide other information to us that we do not request, and, in such instances, you are solely responsible for such information.
B. Information Collected Automatically.
In addition, we automatically collect information when you use the Service. The categories of information we automatically collect, including in the last 12 months, includes:
- Service Use Data, including data about the features you use, the pages you visit, the searches you make and view, the links you click, the time of day you browse, and your referring and exiting pages.
- Device Connectivity and Configuration Data, including data about the type of device or browser you use, device operating software, internet service provider, device’s regional and language settings, and device identifiers such as IP address and Ad Id.
- Location Data, including imprecise location data (such as location derived from an IP address or data that indicates a city or postal code level) and, with your consent, precise location data (such as latitude/longitude data).
We use various current – and later – developed tracking technologies to automatically collect information when you use the Service, including the following:
- Log Files, which are files that record events that occur in connection with your use of the Service.
- Cookies, which are small data files stored on your device that act as a unique tag to identify your browser. We use two types of cookies: session cookies and persistent cookies. Session cookies make it easier for you to navigate our website and expire when you close your browser. Persistent cookies help with personalizing your experience, remembering your preferences, supporting security features, and allow us to bring you advertising both on and off the Service. Persistent cookies may remain on your device for extended periods of time, and generally may be controlled through your browser settings.
For further information on how we use tracking technologies for analytics and advertising, and your rights and choices regarding them, see the “Analytics and Advertising” and “Your Rights and Choices” sections below.
C. Information from Other Sources.
We also receive information from other sources. The categories of sources from which we collect and have collected information, including in the last 12 months, include:
- Data brokers or resellers from which we purchase data to supplement the data we collect.
- Social networks when you engage with our content, reference our Service, or grant us permission to access information from the social networks.
- Partners that engage in joint marketing activities.
- Public sources, including data in the public domain. PeekYou indexes websites and content available on the public Internet to return search results you request.
3. Use of Information.
- Providing our Service, including processing the terms you search for in order to return results to third party websites.
- Performing services requested by you.
- Responding to your comments, questions, and requests, and provide customer service. Sending you technical notices, updates, security alerts, information regarding changes to our policies, and support and administrative messages.
- Preventing and addressing fraud, breach of policies or terms, and threats or harm.
- Monitoring and analysing trends, usage, and activities. Conducting research, including focus groups and surveys.
- Managing and improving the Service or other PeekYou websites, apps, marketing efforts, products and services.
- Developing and sending you direct marketing, including advertisements and communications about our and third party products, offers, promotions, and services.
- Providing advertising.
- Fulfilling any other business or commercial purposes at your direction or with your consent.
Notwithstanding the above, we may use information that does not identify you (including information that has been aggregated or de-identified) for any purpose except as prohibited by applicable law. For information on your rights and choices regarding how we use information about you, please see the “Your Rights and Choices” section below.
4. Sharing of Information.
- Service Providers. We share information with entities that process the information on our behalf. Service providers assist us with services such as data analytics, marketing and advertising, website hosting, and technical support. We contractually prohibit our service providers from retaining, using, or disclosing information about you for any purpose other than performing the services for us, although we may permit them to use information that does not identify you (including information that has been aggregated or de-identified) for any purpose except as prohibited by applicable law.
- Vendors. We share information with vendors, including analytics and advertising technology companies. Vendors may act as our service providers, or in certain contexts, independently decide how to process your information. For more information on advertising and analytics, see the “Advertising and Analytics” section below.
- Partners. We share information with our partners in connection with engaging in joint marketing activities.
- Merger or Acquisition. We share information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any proposed or actual merger, purchase, sale or any other type of acquisition or business combination of all or any portion of our assets, or transfer of all or a portion of our business to another business.
- Security and Compelled Disclosure. We share information to comply with the law or other legal process, and where required, in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. We also share information to protect the rights, property, life, health, security and safety of us, the Service or anyone else.
- Facilitating Requests. We share information at your request or direction, such as when you click on a third parties link on our website or choose to share information with a social network about your activities on the Service.
- Consent. We may share information for any other purposes with notice to you or with your consent.
We also share information that does not identify you (including information that has been aggregated or de-identified) except as prohibited by applicable law. For information on your rights and choices regarding how we share information about you, please see the “Your Rights and Choices” section below.
5. Social Media and Technology Integrations.
We offer parts of our Service through websites, platforms, and services operated or controlled by separate entities. In addition, we integrate technologies operated or controlled by separate entities into parts of our Service. Some examples include:
- Links. Our Service includes links that hyperlink to websites, platforms, and other services not operated or controlled by us. PeekYou indexes websites available on the public Internet. The search results displayed on PeekYou’s Service may contain links to unaffiliated websites not controlled or operated by us.
6. Analytics and Advertising.
We use analytics services, such as Google Analytics, to help us understand how users access and use the Service. In addition, we work with agencies, advertisers, ad networks, and other technology services to place ads for our products and services on other websites and services. For example, we place ads through Google and Facebook that you may view on their platforms as well as on other websites and services.
As part of this process, we may incorporate tracking technologies into our own Service (including our website and emails) as well as into our ads displayed on other websites and services. Some of these tracking technologies may track your activities across time and services for purposes of associating the different devices you use, and delivering relevant ads and/or other content to you (“Interest-based Advertising”).
For further information on the types of tracking technologies we use on the Service and your rights and choices regarding analytics, Interest-based Advertising, please see the “Information Collected Automatically” and “Your Rights and Choices” sections.
7. Your Rights and Choices.
A. Removing Search Results About You.
PeekYou is a search engine that indexes information from unaffiliated websites on the public Internet. You may remove information from www.peekyou.com by filling out the web form available at https://www.peekyou.com/about/contact/optout/index.php. Removing information from our Service does not constitute removal from the Internet. As such, you understand that your information may resurface on www.peekyou.com if you do not take additional steps to limit your privacy settings or remove your information on unaffiliated websites that are the original sources of information. We may require additional information from you to allow us to confirm your identity prior to removal. Please note that we will retain and use information about you as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. Californians have additional rights as set out in the “Additional Disclosures for California Residents” section below.
B. Tracking Technology Choices.
- Cookies and Pixels. Most browsers accept cookies by default. You can instruct your browser, by changing its settings, to decline or delete cookies. If you use multiple browsers on your device, you will need to instruct each browser separately. Your ability to limit cookies is subject to your browser settings and limitations.
- Do Not Track. Your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a “Do Not Track” signal to online services you visit. There is no industry consensus as to what site and app operators should do with regard to these signals. Accordingly, unless and until the law is interpreted to require us to do so, we do not monitor or take action with respect to “Do Not Track” signals or other mechanisms. For more information on “Do Not Track,” visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Please be aware that if you disable or remove tracking technologies some parts of the Service may not function correctly.
C. Analytics and Interest-Based Advertising.
Google provides tools to allow you to opt out of the use of certain information collected by Google Analytics at tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout and by Google Analytics for Display Advertising or the Google Display Network at google.com/settings/ads.com.
Companies and vendors that provide targeted ads to you are required to give you the choice to opt out of receiving targeted ads. Most of these companies are participants of the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) and/or the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”). To learn more about the targeted ads provided by these companies, and how to opt out of receiving certain targeted ads, please visit: (i) for website targeted ads from DAA participants, https://www.aboutads.info/choices; and (ii) for targeted ads from NAI participants, https://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/. Opting out only means that the selected participants should no longer deliver certain targeted ads to you, but does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content and/or ads (e.g., in connection with the participants’ other customers or from other technology services).
Please note that if you opt out using any of these methods, the opt out will only apply to the specific browser or device from which you opt out. We are not responsible for the effectiveness of, or compliance with, any opt out options or programs, or the accuracy of any PeekYou statements regarding their opt out options or programs.
D. E-mail Communications.
You can opt-out of receiving promotional emails from us at any time by following the instructions as provided in emails to click on the unsubscribe link, or emailing us at the email address set out in the “Contact Us” section below with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject field of the email. Please note that you cannot opt out of non-promotional emails, such as those about transactions, servicing, or PeekYou’s ongoing business relations. Please note that your opt out is limited to the email address, device, and phone number used and will not affect subsequent subscriptions.
The Service is intended for a general audience, and is not directed at children under (13) years of age.
We do not knowingly gather personal information (as defined by the U.S. Children’s Privacy Protection Act, or “COPPA”) in a manner not permitted by COPPA. If you are a parent or guardian and you believe we have collected information from your child in a manner not permitted by law, contact us as set out in the “Contact Us” section below. We will remove the data to the extent required by applicable laws.
If you are a California resident under 18 years old and you have registered with a Service, you can ask us to remove content or information you have posted to a Service. Email us at the email address provided in the “Contact Us” section with “California Under 18 Content Removal Request” in the subject line, and tell us what you want removed.
9. Data Security.
We implement and maintain reasonable administrative, physical, and technical security safeguards to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Nevertheless, transmission via the internet is not completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of information about you.
10. International Transfer.
12. Contact Us.
By email: email@example.com
By mail: PeekYou ATTN: Legal Department PO Box 705 Ashburn, VA 20146
13. Additional Disclosures for Nevada Residents.
Nevada law (NRS 603A.340) requires each business to establish a designated request address where Nevada consumers may submit requests directing the business not to sell certain kinds of personal information that the business has collected or will collect about the consumer. A sale under Nevada law is the exchange of personal information for monetary consideration by the business to a third party for the third party to license or sell the personal information to other third parties. If you are a Nevada consumer and wish to submit a request relating to our compliance with Nevada law, please contact us as set out in the “Contact Us” section below.
These additional disclosures for California residents apply only to individuals who reside in California. The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) provides additional rights to know, delete and opt out, and requires businesses collecting or disclosing personal information to provide notices and means to exercise rights.
A. Notice of Collection.
In the past 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information listed in the CCPA:
- Identifiers, including name, email address, phone number, IP address, and Unique ID.
- Demographics, including age and gender. This category includes data that may qualify as protected classifications under other California or federal laws.
- Commercial information, including search data.
- Internet activity, including your service use data and other interactions with the Service.
- Geolocation data, including location enabled services such as WiFi and GPS.
For more detail on information we collect, including the sources we receive information from, review the “Information Collection” section. We collect and use these categories of personal information for the business purposes described in the “Use of Information” section, including providing our Service.
We use and partner with different types of entities to assist with our daily operations and manage our Service. Please review the “Sharing of Information” section for more detail about the parties we have shared information with. To the extent “sale” is interpreted to include engaging in advertising technology activities such as those disclosed in the “Analytics and Advertising” section, PeekYou will comply with applicable law. In the past 12 months, PeekYou has sold certain categories of personal information, including identifiers, demographic information, Internet activity, and commercial information.
B. Right to Know and Delete.
If you are a California resident, you have the right to delete personal information we have about you and the right to know certain information about our data practices in the preceding 12 months. In particular, you have the right to request the following from us:
- The categories of personal information we have collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which personal information was collected;
- The categories of personal information disclosed for a business purpose or sold;
- The categories of third parties to whom the personal information was disclosed for a busines purpose or sold;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling personal information; and
- The specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
To exercise any of these rights to know or delete, please submit a request through our online form available at ‘RIGHT TO KNOW AND DELETE’ or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org . In the request, please specify which right you are seeking to exercise and the scope of the request. We will confirm receipt of your request within 10 days. We may require additional information from you to help us verify your identity and process your request. If we are unable to verify your identity, we may deny your requests.
C. Right to Opt Out.
To the extent PeekYou sells your personal information as the term “sell” is defined under the CCPA, you have the right to opt out of the sale of your personal information at any time. You may submit a request to opt out by clicking Do Not Sell My Personal Information or emailing us at email@example.com .
D. Authorized Agent.
You can designate an authorized agent to submit requests on your behalf. However, we will require written proof of the agent’s permission to do so and verify your identity directly.
E. Right to Non-Discrimination.
You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of any your rights.
F. Shine the Light.
Customers who are residents of California may request (i) a list of the categories of personal information disclosed by us to third parties during the immediately preceding calendar year for those third parties’ own direct marketing purposes; and (ii) a list of the categories of third parties to whom we disclosed such information. To exercise a request, please write us at the email or postal address set out in “Contact Us” above and specify that you are making a “California Shine the Light” request. We may require additional information from you to allow us to verify your identity and are only required to respond to requests once during any calendar year.