PeekYou.com is a people search engine that helps over 6.5 million monthly visitors find their friends, relatives, and colleagues across the public Web.
1. Index only public web content
2. Always respect the user privacy preferences of social networks
3. Allow individuals to opt-out from its service simply and easily
1. Purchase app/developer data from social platforms
2. Index an individual's medical or financial information
3. Knowingly work with any individual or business that violates these rules
Traditional search engines calculate the likelihood of any URL being associated with a keyword.
PeekYou's search engine calculates the likelihood of any URL being associated with an individual.
PeekYou can find only what Google, Bing, and Yahoo are also able to find. If these traditional search engines cannot find a piece of information, then PeekYou cannot either. But whereas traditional search engines might bury certain kind of personal information as not relevant to a search, PeekYou cleans it up, organizes it, and presents it in useful form.
PeekYou, like other search engines, has crawlers that index the public Web. When our crawler looks at a page, it must algorithmically sort out to what person that URL belongs. Another way we are able to match social profiles accurately is through what we call "social connectivity." This is when individuals link all their social profiles together so that friends, family, colleagues, or even recruiters can find them across the Web. See the diagram below as an illustration of the concept.
1. PeekYou indexes only information from 3rd-party websites, which means that removing information from PeekYou still leaves it visible on other websites - the original sources of the information-and on other search engines that index those websites.
2. There is nothing wrong or dangerous with having a flourishing online presence as long as you take the necessary precautions to keep sensitive information private.
3. If you need to have yourself removed from the Web for security reasons, consider contacting a professional company such as Reputation.com. PeekYou has partnered with Reputation.com to bring you the best in online personal privacy products. MyPrivacy, from Reputation.com, will automatically monitor and control your private data on hundreds of websites, direct marketing databases, and online behavioral trackers.
5. Always keep your passwords private. Change them often.
6. Do not add your street numbers, phone number, or exact date of birth to social networks. If you do, control your privacy settings and avoid installing applications from unknown sources.
7. When you use applications such as Facebook Connect, your information is transferred to and imported by the website you are connecting with. Beware of what these sites are doing with your personal information.
Last update: February 7, 2011